Welcome!

Minneapolis, United States
Hello! Thank you for stumbling on my blog, I'm so happy you're here. My name is Kayla, and I'm currently navigating my way through the publishing industry as a freshly hired intern. I love to read, and if you're here, you must love reading, too! I hope and wish and dream that this blog will help you discover books that will inspire, delight, make you laugh, and make you cry (in a good way, of course). Have a look around!

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Hunger Games - by Suzanne Collins

Ok, I'm going to do it. I'm finally going to write about The Hunger Games. I'm proud to say that I at least read the book before I knew there was going to be a movie. To be fair, I'm not really in the know cinema-wise. I watch my movies at a second run theater for $2.50 a ticket before five. (What is up!?) Anyway. Here's what I have to say about all this whole Hunger Game fascination. First, I resent the pandemonium that has been going on. I can't say this for certain, but I'm pretty sure the movie production went over-budget and the hype was produced to ensure a box office hit. (I'm a straight up conspiracy theorist right here. Dan Brown, are you listening?) Please click "read more" for the full review.


Alright. I'm really not trying to put a huge negative spin on The Hunger Games. The writing is quick, sharp, and smart. But it's also full of passion and a sincere sense of humanity, portrayed within an inhuman context. Collins's writing is refreshing; The Hunger Games is clearly aimed at a younger audience, but it doesn't censor itself. The writing is truthful and merciless, and does not hold back from illustrating the terror of a post-apocalyptic world. Truly, a bravo is deserved. 


However, (and it's a big however), I don't think this book really deserved all the obsession driven craze it got. Although, I'm pretty sure most of it came from movie-Peeta's hotness. Anyway, the book is good. But it's just that: it's good. It's not the next Harry Potter or even the next Inheritance series. It's more like the new Brave New World. A truly, truly excellent piece of writing. But it does not merit a fangirl obsession splashed across the internet. It's a quality example of fearless writing that is suitable for younger readers who are likely tired of being talked down to or censored. I wish I could filter out the hype, and encourage everyone to pick up a copy of The Hunger Games, sit down by the fire and become absorbed in the creepiness of the post-apocalypse. It's a phenomenal read.

No comments:

Post a Comment