Welcome!

Minneapolis, United States
Hello! Thank you for stumbling on my blog, I'm so happy you're here. My name is Kayla, and I'm currently navigating my way through the publishing industry as a freshly hired intern. I love to read, and if you're here, you must love reading, too! I hope and wish and dream that this blog will help you discover books that will inspire, delight, make you laugh, and make you cry (in a good way, of course). Have a look around!

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Lost Symbol - by Dan Brown


Stop! I know what you are thinking! Either A) Not another fracking Robert Langdon book; why won't Dan Brown give the whole sadistic conspiracy theory shenanigans a rest, or B) Woohoo! My favorite character isn't dead and is featured in another book even though evil nay-sayers call it shenanigans and wished Dan Brown would give it a rest! Am I right? You probably didn't say shenanigans, though. That was probably just me. Please click "read more" for the full review.


Anyway, I was torn while reading this book. Believe me, you know the plot. Robert Langdon is whisked away on a jet to a place where he innocently thinks he is going to help someone out. Then he becomes a fugitive and there is an immediate threat to a lot of people that must be solved before the time runs out. The thing is, this stuff sells. And I'll be honest with you; it's fun to read. Yes, I've read Angels and Demons, and The DaVinci Code, and even Digital Fortress and Deception Point too. They're all unsurprisingly similar. There is no way around denying that. Especially when The Lost Symbol features everyone's favorite symbolist. There's only so much you can do with a national security threat, a stuffy professor, and a hot science lady. The more you think about it, the more you realize the Robert Langdon craze is just a take-two of the Indiana Jones one. Same deal. 


Furthermore, each subsequent Langdon-based book is a take-two of itself. I began to feel like I was reading the same thing over and over again. But don't stop reading here! I'm not trying to rag on The Lost Symbol. Dan Brown threw in a decent handful of plot twists and surprises that even a seasoned Brown reader like me did not see coming. Do not lose hope, my fair reader. And the plain truth is this: yes, The Lost Symbol at times felt like one last-ditch effort to capitalize on the Robert Langdon adoration craze (please God, don't let him write another one), and yes, the plot up until then end was thoroughly predictable. And the fact of the matter is that the series capitalizes on our lust for conspiracy. But! There is a reason why these books are worldwide bestsellers. Honestly? They deserve to be. The writing is quick and poignant, with only a hint of pretentiousness. 


And I won't lie to you. I very much like this kind of story. I read The Lost Symbol in two days, and I felt like I watched a nice n' good suspense flick, which I will probably never think about again, but quite enjoyed watching nonetheless. I don't feel at all like reading this was a waste of time. If you are looking for a quick read and some high powered action that will keep you turning the pages, read this book. Don't expect literary nobility or an investigation into the human psyche, but expect a good thriller with a surprising ending. And don't let the tech-talk jargon of Brown's attempt to explain noetic science get you down. I didn't understand it, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment